What Does Home Content Insurance Cover in Michigan?

Have you ever wondered how you would replace your new TV or favorite jewelry if you lost them in a home invasion or fire? Content insurance is also called personal property insurance. It covers items you lose after a fire, theft, or other insured events at your home. Examples include personal belongings, such as expensive jewelry, electronics, and anything not fixed in the house. If you want to review or increase your current content coverage, reach out to a dedicated America’s Choice Insurance Partners in Wixom, MI.

Are Family Members Covered?

Content insurance covers anyone on your home insurance policy, including children and dependents. If your spouse is on your policy, they are also insured for contents lost in a covered event. If you aren’t sure who is on your current policy, contact your agent to check.

Depending on your home insurance policy, this type of coverage can also cover personal property belonging to living employees or guests. However, it does not cover long-term tenants not related to you.

What’s Included in Content Insurance?

Since these policies vary significantly from one insurance company to another, it’s essential to know if your most precious belongings are covered. If your property is already insured under another policy, such as a car, it isn’t included in content insurance.

If you have content insurance, it may cover jewelry and precious metals, cell phones, and other electronics. However, content insurance does not cover animals, carpeting, fixtures, HVAC systems, or the property of non-family members staying at your home.

Other parts of your home insurance probably cover items fixed to the home, such as HVAC systems, carpeting, and appliances. However, if you rent out your property, you’ll need landlord insurance, and your tenants will need renter’s insurance to cover their belongings.

Contact America’s Choice Insurance Partners in Wixom, MI, today to review or improve your content or home insurance!